The City of De Soto contracts animal control services through the Johnson County Sheriff's Office; dogs picked up by Animal Control are kept at the City's short-stay dog shelter. To report a stray, please call the Sheriff's Office Animal Control line at 913-782-0720.
If your pet is at the City shelter, come to City Hall between the hours of 8am-3:30pm with your proof of rabies vaccination and the cost of the shelter stay fees; afterwards, a City staff member will take you to the shelter to pick up your pet.
Regulations for keeping animals in the city are detailed in the De Soto City Codes.
- Call City Hall at 913-586-5271 to check if we have taken in any new dogs at the shelter
- Check out our Facebook page, where we post pictures of every dog we've picked up
If your pup is at the City shelter, you will need to come to City Hall between the hours of 8am-3:30pm with your proof of rabies vaccination and the cost of the shelter stay fee.
Contact Animal Control at 913-782-0720 (this is the number of the Johnson County Sheriff's Department). The answering officer will take your name and number, and the animal control officer will contact you.
All dogs and cats in De Soto are required to be inoculated with the rabies vaccination, and proof of rabies vaccination is required to pick up your pet from the City's animal shelter.
If your pet is not up to date on it's rabies vaccination, proof of an upcoming rabies vaccination appointment with a veterinarian - including payment for the appointment - is required.
Please call 913-782-0720 to report a deceased animal on private property.
Owners are responsible for their own pets that have passed away, but Animal Control staff will pick up and dispose of dead stray domestic animals on private property.
Please call 913-586-5264 to report a deceased animal in the roadway.
The City will pick up dead strays or wildlife, including large animals, that are in the street.
No. Any dog upon public school grounds, public park land, and in the central business district must, at all times, be on a leash physically under the control of its keeper.
Yes, the De Soto Veterinary Clinic.
- Website: https://www.desotovetclinic.com/
- Phone: (913) 585-1115
- Address: 33900 Lexington Ave
No. Pit bull dogs are not allowed within city limits.
Pit bulls are defined as:
- The Bull Terrier breed of dog;
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed of dog;
- The American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog;
- The American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog;
- Dogs of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as pit bulls, pit bull dogs or pit bull terriers;
- Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of bull terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, any other breed commonly known as pit bulls, pit bull dogs or pit bull terriers; or a combination of any of these breeds.