Board of Zoning Appeals
The De Soto Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) consists of five members, appointed by the Mayor. The BZA is authorized to hear and decide on requests for variances from the zoning regulations, or appeals from administrative decisions of codes officials.
The Board of Zoning Appeals meets on an as-needed basis at City Hall. Typically, the BZA meets on two or three occasions per year.
- Steve Winslow, Chair
Email Steve Winslow
- Linda Lane
Email Linda Lane
- David Burns
Email David Burns
- Robert Freeman
Email Robert Freeman
- Lech Milewski
Email Lech Milewski
- Interested in being a BZA member?
Apply for Open Seat
BZA Member Responsibilities
- Attend meetings regularly - commitment is paramount.
- Do your homework and contribute to the discussions - review the information provided, be prepared with questions and relevant discussion points. Clarification of agenda items or need for additional information should be discussed with the director prior to the meeting.
- Vote based on what you believe is best for the community, recognizing that you may need to occasionally compromise. A board member must be willing to abide by and support the decisions, policies and programs agreed upon by the board.
- Be aware of the importance and value of planning, zoning, and development issues in your community– gain knowledge, ask questions, and work closely and in cooperation with the director.
- Resist political, personal and special interest pressures – have courage, maintain integrity, set high personal standards for yourself and fellow board members, and avoid potential or perceived conflicts of interest.
- Be familiar with and adhere to Robert’s Rules of Order or whatever source your agency has identified for meeting protocol.
- Serve as your agency’s ambassador – promote and support agency events, programs, services, etc.
- Encourage citizen participation – recruit your fellow residents to participate in agency events, programs and services.